Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Little Girl, A Hug, and a Kiss

Being on the road during the holidays can be a little depressing. Being away from family is never easy but it is doubly hard during the holidays. After seeing Cay and the girls Christmas day I was feeling a little down and lonely. I was wondering if this "Annie" thing was really worth it. Is anything worth being away from the persons you love most in the world?

To make matters even more difficult we were in the midst of 3 straight 2 show days. These are very grueling. Add to that my need for perfection and not ever feeling that I achieve it and I was in a pretty sad mood. We had just finished the Saturday matinee and I was on my way out of the theatre to grab a bite to eat and maybe a little rest. There was a crowd of folks at the stage door wanting autographs and I promised that I would always take the time to greet these people and sign autographs, etc. So I stopped and signed an autograph or two and took some pictures with some folks. I always kneel down to sign autographs and take pictures for the little ones so that I am on their level and less intimidating. One little girl came over as I was squatting down and sat right on my knee to have her picture taken nearly knocking me over! We took the picture and as she got up she gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. In that moment I felt all the tension and anxiety fade from my body and soul. I had been moved by a little girl and realized that what I am doing is special, even if I don't always get the hug after the performance. I felt like a real life "Daddy Warbucks" being touched and transformed by a real life "Annie."

Maybe that is why the musical is so special and has run for so many years in so many places.

I am still not sure that anything is worth being away from the people you love but that little girl and her honest love and compassion for this actor made it a little easier this week.

Here are pictures of Heinz Hall, the Theatre in Pittsburgh that we played





















This is a picture of the Steelers Stadium posted for my Brother-in-law and nephew. I will root for the Steelers until they play the Titans!

No comments: