Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Miami in December

Well, we have arrived in Miami. It has been an adventurous couple of days since I last blogged.

Sunday we were at the State Theatre in New Brunswick, New Jersey. It is a beautiful, historic Vaudeville House that has a very small stage. We were able to use most of our drops but not the orphanage or stairs. The show really plays very well without these and of course the local audiences don't know they are missing unless they have seen the show somewhere else. Liza came and saw the show and said it went very well. The music director for the show also saw part of the show and was very complementary.

Monday we flew from JFK airport to Miami. It turned out to be a longer day than expected due to us missing our flight in JFK because of bad traffic and confusion getting there. It was not a happy story but one best left untold here. I was one of the lucky ones and was able to pay a few dollars to get on an early flight and only arrived in Miami 2 hours later than expected. Others were not so lucky. Everyone got here though and seems to be having a good time.

We are playing the Adreinne Arscht Center here in Miami. It is an amazing theatre with a huge stage and beautiful house. The theatre seats about 2,500 and the stage is large enough to house three complete sets at one time. In fact, they have in the past actually set up three stages or their one stage.

It is amazing and impossible to describe here. I tried to take pictures but as you can tell the space is so big I couldn't get it into one frame. This picture was taken with me standing at the upstage (back) drop of our set facing the back of the theatre. As you can see the backstage area goes on forever and this is about half of the space!


I have spent my days thus far wandering around downtown Miami. There is a lot to see and do but none of it really excites me so I just window shop and see the sights. I haven't bought anything as I try and stay away from spending money. Two reasons for this. One, I don't have a lot of money to spend, and two, what would I do with the stuff I bought when I am living out of a suitcase?

The show continues to go well and the company seems to be adjusting to life on the road. We are still finding our little circles but everyone is really great and we are having a lot of fun. I hope to see some of you soon!

No comments: