Sunday, December 21, 2008

Catching up in a Blizzard

Well, it has been a while since I checked in with you all here so let me catch you up quickly. After North Charleston we spent two days in Greensboro, NC. The theatre there was nice but not remarkable. The shows were well attended and a lot of fun to do. I have decided to just relax and let the show happen and have fun doing what I do.



Then it was off to Augusta, Georgia. The theatre there was very interesting. It was a cross between an arena and an opera house. The stage was small and we didn't get to use much of the set, but it was still a lot of fun and as always the audiences had a great time.
This is a picture of a house across the street from the theatre in Augusta. It was the childhood home of Woodrow Wilson. Thought you history buffs might find that interesting.


Next on the list was Opelika, Alabama. It was one of my favorite spots yet because it was held at the HIGH SCHOOL. They had a 1,200+ seat house with a full fly system. We were able to use most our drops but weren't able to fit the stairs on the stage or the orphanage. It was a great place to do a show. I kept thinking what it must have been like for the students there to get to watch our crew and the locals load-in a Broadway show to their theatre that they do their high school plays on. What a great teaching tool for that teacher and those students.

Finally we got to Macon and I was able to spend some time with Cay. It was a great two weeks and a great theatre. Cay and I did most of the Christmas shopping for our extended family. It was nice to do something traditionally associated with Christmas and do it with my wife. It felt like Christmas for the first time this holiday season. Again the shows went well and were really fun. One unique thing about this theatre, Harry Houdini performed here and cut holes in the stage floor and installed special lifts to pull off his magic. One of those holes and the lift have been preserved. This Theatre was built in 1848 and is full of wonderful history. Charlie Chaplan also performed here among a list of others.

Thursday we drove for 11 hours from Macon, GA to Cincinnati, Ohio and then got up early Friday at 5:30 a.m. to finish the 20 hour drive to Buffalo, NY. It started snowing as we drove into Buffalo and has been snowing on and off since.
The Shea's Buffalo Theatre is really nice and the locals who work with our crew are great. I think it was the best load-in they have had yet and it was one of the friendliest local crews we have met yet. I had my own dressing room which is always nice and an indication that the theatre is large, so we got to do our full show. Saturday and Sunday Madison went on for Tianna. Madison is really beginning to learn the show and having a good time doing it. Most of the cast and crew seem to be in good spirits as we head into the week of Christmas. It is not the same knowing that I won't get to be with my family for the Christmas for the first time in my life. I am glad to be living out my dream but it does come at a cost. It has taught me some things about Christmas but I will get to that another day.
The snow here is unbelievable. Tonight on the way home from the theatre after having eaten dinner it was snowing and the wind was blowing so hard that you could barely see ten feet in front of you, literally. Within seconds my glasses were covered with snow and ice and I had to remove them to see where I was going (those who know me know that wasn't much help as now I couldn't see five feet in front of me.) The wind nearly blew me over a couple of times and I had to stop every few feet and turn my back to the wind to catch my breath. When I finally walked the two blocks to the hotel and got into the lobby I was covered head to toe in a sheet of snow and ice. I looked like one of those characters from the movies who just came in from a blizzard. I even had snow caked in my eyebrows and eyelashes! I am sure it was quite a sight.

We are hoping it will let up so we can get to Pittsburgh tomorrow. I just saw on the news where they are expecting another 5 to 10" of snow tonight! Could be a long 180 mile drive. Hope you enoy the pictures and I will post again soon, I promise.

No comments: