Monday, January 5, 2009

Everything's Up to Date in Kansas City

This past week we have been in Kansas City, MO. We arrived on Tuesday after a stopover in St. Louis which is a beautiful city if you have never been there. We stayed at a great hotel across the street from the theatre so this had all the makings of being a great week. Add to that the fact that Cay, Alayna and Ashlea arrived on Thursday and stayed until Sunday I was one happy "Daddy Warbucks." The shows went well. We have been having a lot of sickness the past week so many understudies went on. Liz went on as Grace on Thursday night. Monica went on as Lily on Saturday. A couple of the kids were out so we did several performances with just 6 orphans (there are usually 7). The dance captain/child swing was even out a day with this bug.

Fortunately I have avoided it thus far. Pray that my good fortune continues.

Cay and the girls and I spent time doing what families do together, eating, talking, shopping, etc. We saw a movie together and spent a lot of time just "hanging out" together. It was really great seeing them. Being away from home heightens ones awareness of what really matters. Just being in the same room with the people you love becomes a source of great joy. And you realize how much you miss the little things, even the things you complain about the most when your are home. Things like cleaning out the litter box and taking out the trash. I know, "I would never miss those things." I said that too until I could no longer do them. I can't wait to get home and clean out a closet, mow the yard and work on Cay's "honey-do list." For those of you "stuck at home" take out the trash for me and hug you spouse and children on the way back in. It is not such a bad thing after all.

Kym, if you read this, know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could be there on Thursday with you. Know that I am there always in my prayers. I read in a book recently that we carry our families and friends inside of us. I have discovered this to be true. I hold you all in my heart daily.

Speaking of the book, if you haven't read it I encourage you to buy a copy today and read it ASAP. The book is called THE SHACK. It is an interesting and intriguing book and one that every God loving or God fearing or God seeking person should read and share with their families and friends.

Today I am in Wichita Falls. I grew up near hear and went to college here. I got to spend the evening with Mom and Dad and my sister and her family. It was great to get to see them and share a little time together. If you are reading this and haven't spoken to your parents or siblings lately, sign-off and call them now. You might just make their day.

Tomorrow we are off to Abilene for a performance and then off to San Diego.

Happy New Year and Peace to all.

No comments: