Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Very Interesting Week

This week has been very "interesting" so far. We began the week in Medford, OR and had a good show there. Nothing that unusual, just our typical fun show, with a really great audience.

Wednesday and Thursday we were in Bellingham, WA. I met a little girl named Sadie who was celebrating her 8tho birthday with two friends and their moms. I had been asked by a friend of Alayna's who knew them if I could meet them and give them a backstage tour so before the show I met them and showed them around. The moms had brought blonde's and cookies for the cast which were awesome. Blondie's are a type of brownie and were amazing. Anyway, I gave Sadie a souvenir backpack and program book and all three girls got posters signed by the cast. They were very cute and very excited. It was a joy to share this special moment with them.

Our director, Martin, also saw the show Wednesday. I guess he was pleased with the show as he didn't have anything negative to say to me although I am sure he could have found something. There I go again, being overly critical of myself.

Thursday we had a rehearsal to put Gracie, who just joined the tour to take Amanda's place as she has been filling in until Gracie could get there. Gracie is a very cute, sweet little girl and I know she will do a great job.

Today, we traveled to Kennewick, WA and played at the Toyota Center. It is a hockey arena! Yes we did "Annie on Ice." Well sort of. There was a stage and chairs and it looked pretty much like other arena shows I have done. Two main differences: It was FREEZING! They put the stage up over the ice and the audience sat on the ice which was covered by a temporary floor but it had be 60 or below. It was very difficult to concentrate and move well in such cold. The other different thing was that all of the backdrops "traveled" instead of "flying." Typically our backdrops go up and down which is called flying. They are lowered down from the "loft" when we are using them and then raised into the "loft" and out of view of the audience when we are done with them. Here they traveled from side to side like giant window curtains. Additionally they had to be pulled manually. Usually stage curtains travel by pulling on sets of ropes. Not here. A stagehand or cast member literally grabbed the drop and walked across the stage pulling the drop with them. It was actually kind of fun and added a "special" look to the show. I don't, however, look forward to doing it that way again anytime in the near future.

No comments: