Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Abilene and San Diego

Well, this last week as been a very long journey! Last Monday we drove from Kansas City to my hometown Wichita Falls, Texas (actually the big town near my hometown of Archer City) for a layover on our way to Abilene, TX. It was nice to be near home as I got to have dinner with my parents and my sister and her family. It was great to sit in a house at a dining table and have dinner, watch TV and chat with loved ones.

Tuesday, we arrived in Abilene, TX for a one-nighter. The show there went well and the audience thoroughly enjoyed it. I love playing the smaller towns and venues as they always seem so appreciative of our efforts.

Wednesday we drove to El Paso for another layover on our way to San Diego. I went out to dinner with members of our crew. I love getting to spend time with these guys. I feel as though we are kindred spirits since my love of theatre grew largely out of the technical work that I did in my college days. I even worked for a production company in Dallas for a while so I love being with these stage hands and "talking shop."

Thursday was another long drive to Yuma, AZ for another layover on our way to San Diego. I LOVE THE DESERT! The scenery here was breath taking. Additionally our hotel was in a great location next to one of those new open air malls with lots of places to eat. The best part was that I was able to walk without a jacket and get some much needed exercise. Did I mention I love the desert?

Friday we finally arrived in San Diego. Friday night Madison went on as Annie after taking over the role upon the departure of the young lady who had been playing the part. Madison did a great job and I thought we had one of our best performances in a long time. The show received mixed reviews from the critics in San Diego and I was rather upset at first. I always have put too much stock in what others think about me. As the week progressed, however, I began to realize that the only critics that really matter are the 1000+ audience members who show up every night and stand and cheer for us at the end of the play. So, while I might occasionally glance at a review or two I will no longer allow them to affect me or my performance.

We did five shows in San Diego and they all went really well. Another bright spot in San Diego was that Amanda, last year's Annie, has rejoined the tour for a few weeks to play the part of Kate while we bring in someone to fill the role permanently. Amanda is an amazing performer and an even more amazing young lady. It is a joy to be reunited with her.

I was again struck by the number of homeless people in San Diego. I was also struck by the fact that many of them didn't fit the stereotype we hold for the homeless. It reminded me that homelessness could happen to any of us. One woman that was in the 7-Eleven while I was getting a soda said that she was on the streets because her husband had been hospitalized for a long period of time and eventually passed away and due to medical costs they had lost everything. There were others who were obviously mentally ill. The saddest part is that the passers-by walked past these people without seeming to even see them. No one looked at them. No one noticed them. A man or woman would be lying on the sidewalk and we walked around them as if they weren't there. I wonder if we would react differently if it were our brother, sister, daughter, son, husband or wife? No person in the greatest country in the world should ever have to sleep in the streets. It is easy to ignore those we don't know. It is much harder to ignore those we know. I was reminded of something my daughter Alayna told us while we were in Kansas City. She carries loose change or a couple of dollar bills in her jacket pocket to give to the homeless in NYC as she walks down the street. I now do the same.

Well, today we arrived in Hollywood to play the Kodak Theatre. It was an amazing experience. One that I will share with you TOMORROW!

No comments: