Monday, January 19, 2009

Hollywood and the Kodak Theatre

This week has been amazing and overwhelming. Tuesday we opened at one of the most famous theatres in the country. The Kodak has been the sight of "American Idol" and in February will once again host The Academy Awards. The theatre is huge and beautiful and set in one of the most famous cities in the world and is next door to Grauman's Chinese Theatre. The staff there has made us feel like stars all week long. It has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

When we first pulled up to the theatre we saw the huge banner out front. It is 40' wide and almost as tall. Everyone walking down the street couldn't help but to see it and most of them were taking pictures of it (not because of me but because of where it was). Then we stepped onto the stage at the Kodak and saw that beautiful and famous stage and auditorium where some of the worlds greatest performers have stood.

On Tuesday night every major character was applauded when they entered the stage from Annie to Sandy and more. This had never happened to us before. It was a performance I will never forget. Afterwards people lined up outside the stage door for autographs. There were so many folks that security had an area roped off to keep it orderly and safe.

Then there were the famous people who came to see the show including Molly Ringwald who played Kate and later Pepper in the first National Tour of Annie, Debra Messing and Michael Jackson! It was so weird to think that these famous performers who I have watched through the years would be sitting in the audience watching me!

The Kodak is located in a huge mall. I assume it was built at once because of how it is laid out. The point is that the layout meant that lots of folks would notice us as we went to dinner or lunch so we got a real taste of what it must be like for the really famous. I have to admit it was a little fun but I am not sure I would want to live that way all of the time. Most people were very gracious and just really appreciative of our performances.

I also got to be reunited with last years Annie, Amanda. She went on as Annie at the matinees and did her usual wonderful job. It was great to get to work with her again.

Martin Charnin, our director, also came to see the show this weekend. For the most part he was pleased with what he saw and almost as excited as we were to be playing the Kodak.

Every night when I would say "Annie, I'm the luckiest man the world" I knew it to be absolutely true. I am living my dream in ways that most people will never know. I have truly been blessed in so many ways.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love reading your blogs. You have an amazing writing sense and your descriptions and feelings come through so well. Thanks for your insights. Stacy Wallach ( Star To Be's mom!)