Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Medford, Oregon

Tonight we are in Medford, Oregon where we played the Ginger Rogers Theater. This was a great little theatre. If Hendersonville wanted a prototype to follow for a local theatre suitable for big and small productions this would be it. The stage is only a little larger that JP2's stage and the house wasn't much bigger either but it did have a full fly system, impressive lobby and support areas and fabulous dressing rooms for a small space.

While we are accustomed to bigger and nicer facilities traveling with Annie I loved this space. If anyone knows who to contact back home about building a space that could be used by Steeple Players and serve the great community for things like Community Singers, dance recitals and touring productions let me know so I can send them this information and get things rolling.

If I could choose my place when this tour is over it would be to come home and run a theatre like this bring to Hendersonville the best in local and touring productions. I know Hendersonville can support this, I just don't know how to get the money together to get it built and then to keep it running.

We also got to meet the new orphan tonight. Her name is Gracie and seems to be a very sweet young lady. Don't know much about her but is cute and has a great smile. I look forward to getting to know her this week as we begin the process of "putting her into the play."

If you live in the Hendersonville/Nashville area be sure to check out Steeple Players Theatre production of "Bye, Bye Birdie." It opens this weekend and runs for three weekends. My wife and a friend of ours directed it and tons of my friends are in it. You will have a great time and the price is right. Go to http://www.steepleplayers.org/ for more information and to make reservations. (Yes this is a shameless plug for the theatre group that I founded and still love.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to get to meet you tonite in Medford, but after talking to the "orphans" for quite a while out at the bus, my hands were frozen lol...it was worth it, but I was bummed because I truly wanted to meet you. Great job, and I look forward to reading your blog more. Sincerely, Suzanne :)