Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Costume Experience

Back in September I was flown to NYC to be measured for new costumes. Everyone associated with the production made this out to be a big deal. Costumes tailored specifically for me. Evidently this is unusual for non-equity tours.

Anyway, I was to meet a Tailor on 49th street and 9th avenue. I arrived and rang the bell. The first floor was a garage with cars parked in it. We walked to the back of the garage and up some stairs to a modest one room shop. The walls were covered with pictures of famous actors from Broadway, movies, and TV including the stars of such shows as Phantom of the Opera. It was very impressive and overwhelming. The man who owned the shop started taking measurements but before each measurement he would make a guess. His guesses were usually within an inch of being correct! I was amazed at this special gift.

The most horrifying part was standing in front of one of those three-sided mirrors and having them study me in mock-ups of costumes and take pictures of me from every angle. They were not flattering and I always feel like I look huge in those situations.

The best part of all of this was that I got to stay in NYC for a couple of days and spend time with Alayna and her roommates. It was a great week and helped get me excited about returning for another year! 19 days and counting

No comments: