Saturday, October 25, 2008

Clothes Make the Man

Yesterday I flew to New York for a costume fitting. I left Nashville at 6 a.m. and got back about 10:30 p.m. after missing a connection (long, angry story). I spent of total of 4 hours in the city with 2 of those being in the car going to and from the airport and the other two at the tailor's.



It was a very interesting experience. Joe Scafati is the tailor and he had created three new suits for me that were designed by Jimm Halliday. The suits were "half" put together. I don't really know how to describe it other than to say they were barely pieced together. Just enough stitches and finish to try on for fit. I would try on the pants and have them fitted, then the vest, and then suit coat. Joe spent about 45 minutes per suit tugging, and marking, and pinning. He would pull seams out and pin them back to get the exact fit they were looking for. He padded the shoulders of the jackets to make them look just right on me. Did things to fix the fact that I lean to the left slightly because of one leg being just slightly shorter than the other. It was all very different and not something I was very comfortable with. I am not really comfortable being fussed over. Still haven't gotten use to the "Star treatment."



It doesn't sound like a big deal, but standing still for 2 hours while someone pulls and tugs on your clothes is tiring. It made my knees and back hurt.



I am home now trying to make sure that I have everything I need to be gone for 8+ months. My problem is I take things I don't use and then have to lug them around with me for 8 months. So I have packed and unpacked once and will probably do that once more before Tuesday. Then in three weeks I will have Cay bring me things I need and left to Raleigh and send things I took and don't need home with her.



I am excited to meet everyone and get started again. I just hope I can get over this cold I have been fighting before next Wednesday's first rehearsal.



Hope you are all having a great week.



David

No comments: