Friday, April 3, 2009

Windy Lubbock

We arrived in Lubbock yesterday afternoon and played to a great audience last night. Things were kind of crazy around the theatre. It is next door to the colesium where they are having a huge rodeo and across the street from the baseball field where they have games all weekend. This added to the road construction created huge traffic problems which caused us to start the show nearly 20 minutes late, something we don't like to do. But the audience seemed to tolerate it pretty well and enjoyed the show.

Today I left at 5:45 am to do two TV spots and 4 radio interviews! A really early morning for a night owl. Afterwards I went to Lubbock High School where my cousin is an administrative intern and spoke to their theatre and choir students. This is the school that Buddy Holly went to and graduated from in 1955, two years after my Uncle graduated from the same school! My uncle still has his annual from his Senior year that has Buddy Holly's picture it.

Speaking to the students was terrific fun. It was good to be back with high school students and to be fueled by their enthusiasm and energy. We spent a great two + hours together as I told them my story and anwered their questions about touring, acting, and more.

I had lunch with my Uncle and his wife and we had a great time just chatting and catching up on family things and sharing funny stories. Every family has a "crazy uncle" and Uncle Weldon is mine. It was great to spend the day with them and reconnect.

Tonights show went well after starting late yet again. Scott Jackson from the home office was here to the show. It is always nice to have someone from the production company come and see us. It gives a sense of security to all of us on the road that we are important to them and haven't been forgotten. Scott was very complementary and praised us in our work and efforts. Nice to know we are appreciated.

It is very dry here in Lubbock as it is in most of Texas. Typical for this time of year. When the wind gets to blowing the dust is overwhelming. While it was a beautiful day out today there were a few times when the blowing dust was more than a little uncomfortable. It sounds weird, but I actually enjoyed watching the dust blow and tasting it in my mouth and feeling in my nose, eyes and ears. It brought strong childhood memories.

Tomorrow we will wrap it up here in Lubbock and then we head to Waco.

1 comment:

Austin said...

David,

I just wanted to say thanks again for coming out to Lubbock High. Everyone loved it!

Good luck and take care.

Austin