Saturday, April 18, 2009

I dreamed a dream!

Up until the spring of 2007 being a professional performer was only a dream. I had never taken advantage of a real opportunity to see that dream fulfilled mostly because of a lack of self confidence and partly because opportunities are rare and the odds are stacked against anyone landing a "dream" role with so much competition out there. Then in March of 2007 I was encouraged and pushed by my wife and daughters and friends and students to take a chance and go for my dream. Thanks to their support (and unwillingness to let me say no to this chance) and the open mindedness of Martin Charnin, Trisha Gentry and Networks and their willingness to take a chance on someone with no "real" professional acting experience my dream has come true.

This week I watched with amazement, joy and happy tears as another 47 year old saw her dream come true. You may have seen her on the news or YouTube. Susan Boyle's story is one that I can identify with and one that has inspired and awed me. If you haven't seen it I encourage to go to YouTube and search for the clip. If you have seen it then you got a glimpse of what I felt like two years ago, standing in that audition room as Martin Charnin said "We would very much like for you to play Daddy Warbucks." It is a moment that I will never forget and one that I am eternally grateful for. Thank you Cay, Alayna and Ashlea for not letting me say no to that chance to live my dream and thanks to Martin for taking a chance on someone like me.

1 comment:

Laura A. said...

David-
You brought a tear to my eye! We are blessed that Martin was insightful enough to "take a chance on you"!