Sunday, September 14, 2008

Faith and Religion


Sunday's are one of the toughest days of the week for me. I have always thought of myself as a person with a deep faith. I have known and experienced God in many ways over the years. Often the places I have found God are those that one would least expect.

Today I am reminded that those who claim to have the "Greatest" faith are often furthest from God. I am reminded of the story Jesus told of the Pharisee and the sinner. The pharisee prayed in public where people would be sure to hear him and thanked God that he was a righteous man and not like those sinners. The sinner found a quiet spot, fell to his knees and prayed "God forgive me, sinner that I am."

Today I found myself frustrated with short tempered people, ungrateful for all of the wonderful things God is doing around them and only aware of the little things that are ALWAYS going to go wrong. I became angry, frustrated and even afraid (my wife is Director of Children's Ministry and seems to be the center of controversy these days) that Cay might be harmed in all this. Why is it that our churches often feel like the most ungodly places in the world? Aren't churches suppose to be an example to the world rather than falling victim to the ways of the world?

In reflecting does this make me the Pharisee or the sinner? Maybe I'm just a very angry husband.

Time to do a little praying.

Peace,

David

No comments: