Thursday, January 14, 2010

Casper and Rushmore

Well, time has certainly gotten away from me.  I didn't realize how long it had been since I last posted here.

Over the past two weeks we have traveled through several of the states in the northern teer of our great land.  Our adventures have taken us to Casper, Wyoming, Billings, Montana, Rapid City and Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  I know many of you back home in Texas and Tennessee thought you were cold these past few weeks but that was nothing compared to the sub-zero temperatures up here.  It was painfully cold, to the point that you didn't dare even think about going outside of any extended amount of time.


All is well with the show as we continue to play to great audiences.  The highlight of the past couple of weeks for me was Rapid City, SD.  It is only a few miles from Mt. Rushmore which we all got to visit one late morning.  It was a beautiful day with lots of sunshine, even though it was well below freezing.  The mountain is amazing (although several in our group expected it to be bigger.  60' tall heads sound pretty big to me.)  We also got to see some of the mountain goats that roam the mountain which was neat.  As a history buff I loved every moment on the mountain.  Additionally, Rapid City calls itself the "City of Presidents."  On the street corners they have put up bronze statues of all the presidents.  The one on the corner of hotel was of JFK.

It as a great two weeks but it is good to be back in the South.  Today we are in Atlanta, GA where we opened at the Fox Theatre last night.  It is a beautiful theatre that must be seen in person to fully appreciate.  The big deal here is that we are hosting 24 local girls and walk-on orphans all week.  Our choreographer and dance captain have been working with them all week to put them in to a couple of scenes in the show and I have to say that they did a great job.

And the icing on the cake, I go to spend the evening with my wife, Cay.  It is always good to be with the family.

The entire company is really enjoying our hotel here.  We aren't supposed to say where we are staying while we are there, so I won't reveal that yet.  Next week when we are in Chicago I will let you know the name of the hotel.  Let me just say that I highly recommend it to anyone traveling in Atlanta and staying in the downtown/midtown area.  It is wonderful with a full kitchen and washer and dryer in almost every room.  And the staff here has been amazing.

No comments: