Saturday, January 23, 2010

Atlanta, HOME and Chicago

 Well, since I last talked to you all I have been in Atlanta and traveled through Tennessee on my way to Chicago! Atlanta was a lot of fun.  the 24 local orphans did a great job and the audiences there really enjoyed the show.  Sunday's final performance was UNBELIEVABLE!  It was a near capacity crowd in a theatre that seats 4,500 and they were loud and attentive.  I have never experienced anything quite like that as an actor.  It is one of those moments that I will remember for the rest of my life.  My thanks to whomever it was that arranged for over 1,600 high school and middle school students in town for a theater convention to be at that performance.  It was like being a Rock Star.  They cheered after every number and only go louder and more attentive as the night went on.  And to top it all off my daughter Ashlea and her friend Carolyn were in the audience and got to be a part of this special night.

After the show the three of us drove home to Hendersonville where I got to spend the night in my own bed.  The next day, Cay and I drove to Chicago where we have been performing at the Auditorium Theatre all week.  It is the oldest theatre in Chicago and is amazingly beautiful.  Everyone here has been so friendly and we have had a great time.


Chicago is a huge theatre city.  They have over 200 theatres in Chicago and they really love their theatre.  This also means we have been visited by several critics and reviewed in nearly 20 publications of one kind or another.  This had everyone associated with the show a little on edge as the future of this production and future productions is effected by what these critics have to say.  I can't tell you how great it was to get up Wednesday morning to overwhelmingly good reviews!  If you want to check out the reviews simply google search my name plus "Annie National Tour" plus Chicago.  You should have several popup.


It is fulfilling to have the critics say that you did a good job.  It is also very humbling and a little embarrassing actually.  We perform together as a company and no single performer could do their job effectively if everyone around them wasn't doing a great job as well.  So when I or Hannagin or Annie get good reviews it really is, in my opinion, a reflection on everyone involved with the show.  I work with an amazingly talented group of people, top to bottom.  They are the best and they are the reason "Annie" continues to be so successful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

David.. That last paragraph is the nicest and sweetest paragraph I have ever read. You are great!