Sunday, May 24, 2009

Leaving Canada

Well, we have finished our final Canadian leg of this tour.  It has been a good few days but we are all ready to be back in the states where our cell phones will work!

London, Ontario was a neat town and I had a great time there.  Saw a movie, ate some good food and had two good performances.  I met 8 people worth mentioning at the stage door after the shows.  First was a man and his daughter who was in a wheelchair.  I have no idea what the little girl suffered from but she was waiting at the stage door as we came out with a large hand made poster that said "I love Annie and Orphans" on it.  Naturally she got all the girls autographs and pictures with all.  She was thrilled to get meet the girls and you could tell she was having the time of her life though I think her Dad may have been having a better time. 

I also met and older couple (probably around 60 - Sounds younger every day) who came over to introduce themselves and say how much they enjoyed the show.  The man said he had brought his little girl to see Annie 25+ years ago and had special memories of that shared experience.  As he told me the story and how much he enjoyed watching Madison and I together his eyes filled with tears.  I know that feeling of recalling memories that flood you with emotions of joy you can't suppress.  I think it may be a "Dad" thing, or at least a parent thing.

There was another older lady who came over and hugged the stuffing out of me and told me how much she enjoyed the show.  It was a little shocking but still appreciated.

Finally, there was a young man who was confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak that was there with some friends or caretakers and he was obviously having the time of his life.  His smile spoke all the words that his voice couldn't.

These are just a few of the moments I will cherish for the rest of my life.  Yes, performing is a lot of fun, but meeting people like these is what theatre is all about.  It is amazing the way our simple performances effect so many peoples lives.  God has truly blessed me.

No comments: